Kenyatta University ICT Department
The Kenyatta University ICT Department. Details of Kenyatta University ICT Department
An academic department is a division of a university or school faculty devoted to a particular academic discipline.
Apply for Kenyatta University Intake.
Kenyatta University ICT Departments
Led by Kenyatta University ICT Department Director, the Directorate comprise five sections each led by a manager. All of our services reside in the five sections as below;
Kenyatta University ICT Support Department
- Managing ICT help desk
- Administration of University Corporate Email
- Facilitation of meetings, functions and paperless presentations
- Printer installation, configuration and sharing
- Software Distribution/Upgrade and Installation
- Administration of University Anti-Virus
- Students online services
Kenyatta University ICT Systems Development Department
This department handles Systems Development and Administration functions such as:
- Systems Development and Administration
- This section develops systems based on requests and requirements from various University departments. Some of the systems developed are stated below:
• Gown Management System
• Transport Booking System
• Gym Membership System
• Students/Lecturer online Evaluation system
• Boardroom Reservation Systems
• Admission Letters and Joining Instructions System.
- This section is responsible for user administration (setup and maintaining account), user assessment, user requirements gathering, systems maintenance, monitoring system performance, creating system files, software installation, upgrade, acceptance testing, reporting etc
- Setting up security policies for users, password and identity management, creation of new users, resetting of passwords and lock/unlock user accounts.
- The section is responsible for the issuance of Students Smart card ID’s.
Kenyatta University ICT Campus Nexus System Department
This section supports the students’ data management system (CampusNexus) in the following:
- Capturing, Editing and managing students’ biodata.
- Training students on the creation and navigation of the student portal.
- Training and support lecturers on correct entry of marks in the faculty portal.
- Generation and Analysis of Academic, Admissions and Finance report.
- Liaising with the system provider (Campus Management) for all enhancements, customization of reports and upgrade.
- Running of student academic progress (SAP) after entry of marks in preparation of school boards and university board of examiners.
- Uploading approved programs, areas of study and courses and associating the courses to the appropriate lecturer.
Kenyatta University ICT Network and Infrastructure Department
Planning, installation, support, maintenance and continuous improvement of network infrastructure
Designing and implementing new network solutions, installation, configuring and maintenance of network equipment, network monitoring and optimization, maintenance and administration of computer networks and related computing environment.
The Department maintains a topological design that ensures network service meets the needs of the users. Structured cabling and network devices configuration is also a function of the department.
Laying Fiber Optic cable to connect buildings to the University’s network backbone. Fibre Optic technology provides the capability to transmit huge amounts of information over long distances and also ensures high-speed access to local resources and the internet
The Department is mandated to ensure the availability of reliable internet to users. This includes proper configuration of network devices and servers that are necessary for internet access.
Wireless Access Service
The Department provides Wireless connectivity for access to the internet and other local resources. The University offers Eduroam services which allow students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions.
Enforcing network security
The Department takes measures that are designed to protect the usability and integrity of networks and data. We achieve this through firewalls, policies and practices adopted to prevent and monitor unauthorized access, misuse, modification, or denial of a computer network and network-accessible resources. The department also maintains a Domain Controller that manages user authentication and authorization while accessing University resources.
Interconnect the University satellite Campuses to ensure that users in the campuses can access resources hosted at Main Campus. The reliability, availability and adequate capacity of local network resources are critical to the day-to-day functions of the campuses.
Facilitation of discussions between participants in different locations through conferencing facilities. Some online and distance learning classes are also held through Video Conferencing.
Hosting and File Storage Service
The section offers to host services to University systems where instead of relying on the old model of “one server, one application” that leads to underutilized resources, the University has adopted a virtualized infrastructure that improves the efficiency and availability of resources and applications. Storage space is provided for departments where they can safely store shared office files which then can be accessed by authorized departmental staff.
Kenyatta University ICT Systems Security Department
- The physical security of all computing and communication premises, computers, communication equipment and appliances, transmission paths and peripherals, security of all storage media for data, system software, application software and documentation, power systems supplying electrical power to network communication and computer systems.
- The logical security of data, information and information processing resources such as databases, computer programs, email records, servers, routers, switches and other network appliances.
- This section is also concerned with End Point Security/AV Systems, Network Security, IPS/IDS Systems, Threat Management and VPN
Kenyatta University ICT Secretariat Functions
Coordinating all IT Governance matters including:
- Performance Contracting
- Quality Management System & Standards Certification
- Work Plan preparation and implementation review
- Internal & External Audits
· Maintaining an accurate record of all Directorate documents including Service Level Agreements and Contracts.
· Coordinating Quarterly Preventive maintenance for ICT equipment.
· Coordinating IT training needs of all staff & students.
· Analysis of key performance indicators (KPI’s) and Customer Satisfaction via customer survey reports and ICT feedback system.
· Management of ICT staff matters
· Reservation of Computer Labs for teaching, training and external functions.
· Preparation of preventive maintenance reports of all IT assets and facilities including IT computer labs
Kenyatta University ICT Department Contacts
Kenyatta University-Main Campus Thika Road Central Administration Complex, Third Floor North Wing, Room No. 323
Monday-Friday: 8.00 AM-5:00 PM
Saturdays – Students Computer labs open: 8.00 am to 5.00 pm
Kenyatta University P.O. Box 43844-00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
ICT Directorate: 0208703101 (Ext 3101)
ICT Support Services: 0208703103 (Ext 3103)
Mobile: 0202410747 – Office
Read Other Articles on Kenyatta University